Friday, January 4, 2019

BEEn Wondering what happened to the bees?

After I published last nights update I realized I had a draft post from the bee resolution.  I guess I was a bit excited with the progress and didn't check the site.  Long story short is we were finally able to get the queen out of the hive.  On the third day we found there was a forth chamber hidden in the tree on the left seen in the picture below.

We knew about the middle tree, broken tree on the right, and the mostly empty chamber in the rocks.  We found a crack in the wood inside the hole of the middle tree and could hear many bees inside.  Once we were able to enlarge the hole enough to stick a one inch pipe through we were able to smoke them out.  That's the first time I've had around 50 thousand bees swarming above my head.  It was really amazing to see, but what I found most impressive was the behavior change once the queen was removed.  Instead of having their butts in the air while crawling around the inside of the hive, they calmly walked around looking for food. 

Many thanks to the VI Honeyman for the time and effort he put in for us.  Denise and I are going to his property Sunday to help him build more hurricane proof hive racks. 

Today's excavation went well.  Here's a shot looking East towards Salt River Bay.  Same view as yesterday with the jeep but he's widened and lowered the area. 

Here's the North view.  The rain shower over the sea is blocking the view of St Thomas, St John and the British VI's.  

Tomorrow we should have a West view of  Baron bluff to Hams Bluff at the west end of the island and Puerto Rico.  

Here's my Super Denise supervising the action.  The view is looking south east up the driveway.  

Tomorrow will be the last day of the dozer for a few days while we hit out the rock with a large jackhammer.  The rock seen on the previous picture's right side side is called rotten rock and can be removed with the dozer.  The harder rock below, locally called blue bitch, needs a bit more negotiation to make it move.  The hammer will cost us a little more but it's needed. 

That's all for today. 

Kevin & Denise

2 comments:

  1. Good stuff. One thing I can't see Denise ??????
    I guess my eye
    's are getting old

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have labeled that picture, "I spy Denise in the excavation site."

      Delete